News about a couple of former Nationals

Austin Voth’s career in Washington didn’t turn out the way he hoped it would. For a brief while, it looked like he might have figured something out in Baltimore, but things fizzled out there as well.

Now Voth will get a chance to resurrect his career in his hometown.

The Mariners signed the right-hander to a $1.25 million contract earlier this week, taking a chance on the 31-year-old right-hander who grew up outside Seattle and pitched for the University of Washington before the Nationals drafted him.

It’s not a bad deal for Voth, given his struggles and the way things played out for him the last few seasons with the Nats and Orioles.

Originally a fifth-round pick in the 2013 MLB Draft, Voth slowly worked his way up through the minors before debuting in 2018. His best year in D.C. came in 2019, when he posted a 3.30 ERA and 1.053 WHIP in nine games (eight starts). Things took a sharp turn downhill from there, though.

Three unexpected developments in Orioles' season

One year ago, the Orioles were juggling emotions that ranged from disappointment that they missed the postseason to excitement over the strides that led them further away from the rebuild phase. Contention until the last week. Confidence that they’d keep playing next fall past 162 games.

Winning the division was an unexpected bonus.

What a difference a year makes - a thought that leads me to some other developments most of us did not anticipate.

Maybe all of us. I didn’t take a poll.

Here are three:

O's could return to five-man rotation and other pregame notes from Anaheim

ANAHEIM – Orioles manager Brandon Hyde is pleased with the results for the club since they went to a six-man rotation. He said, “it’s been enormous for all our starters, so happy we did that.” But as the games begin to wind down and the playoffs approach, he said today the club could be returning at some point to a five-man rotation.

“Yeah. We’re still talking about all that," he said. "We’re mapping out some guys for certain teams and series. Might have a spot start here and there. Might just go straight five-man. Lot of different scenarios. We’re kind of getting through the weekend in Boston and then kind of reset a little bit. We’ve got Tampa and some big games coming up. All these are big games and trying to act accordingly."

Hyde is still not ready to announce how the Orioles will use lefty John Means who is scheduled to pitch for Triple-A Norfolk tomorrow night. His 30-day rehab ends Friday, so his next game after this one should be for the Orioles.

“Things can happen on a daily basis. We have some plans in place, some different scenarios, but we’ll kind of wait and see where we are after his start. See how he throws and do what is the best thing for our team at that time,” Hyde said.

The skipper today was asked again about picking up his 300th O's win last night becoming the fifth Orioles manager to win 300. Did he get any hardware for a milestone win?

O's activate López, reinstate Hicks

The Orioles have made the following roster moves:

  • Activated RHP Jorge López. He will wear #73.
  • Reinstated OF Aaron Hicks (low back strain) from the 10-day Injured List.
  • Optioned OF Colton Cowser to Triple-A Norfolk after yesterday’s game.
  • Designated RHP Austin Voth for assignment.

The Orioles’ 40-man roster currently has 39 players.

Orioles can't secure sweep against White Sox (updated)

A third fly ball landed on the other side of the fence today and an angry fan sitting near the Camden Yards press box couldn’t contain his emotions. Didn’t want to try.

“It’s the White Sox!” he yelled, the exit velocity of his words immeasurable.

A team that didn’t bring much energy to the series, lost the first two games by a combined 18-3 score and fired two senior members of the front office last week.

A team that fell behind by four runs this afternoon in the bottom of the first inning.

Kyle Gibson surrendered four in the top of the second and three more in the third, and the Orioles lost 10-5 before an announced crowd of 17,723 to deny them the sweep.

Notes on Frazier's thumb, Voth's return from elbow injury and lots of Henderson

Adam Frazier stood at his locker yesterday and wrapped black tape around his right thumb and wrist. A pregame ritual that he’d like to stop.

Maybe soon.

Frazier said the thumb is much better since he injured it Aug. 3 in Toronto. He was in the lineup again last night and has appeared in the last five games, twice coming off the bench to face an opponent’s right-handed reliever.

“It was a grind of a couple weeks there once it happened,” he said. “It’s starting to feel good again and I’m swinging back full speed again, so it’s good.”

Some injuries linger until a player can shut down over the winter and heal, but Frazier doesn’t think he’s carrying the discomfort through the playoffs.

Hyde on Flaherty, Voth, Baumann, Frazier, McCann and taking batting practice

The Orioles aren’t listing starters for Thursday night or the three-game weekend series against the Rockies. The rotation is fluid after the decision to push back Jack Flaherty.

Flaherty said he didn’t bounce back after his last start in San Diego. Specifics are scarce.

“It was decided yesterday pregame to just give him a little bit extra time,” said manager Brandon Hyde. “In his catch play yesterday, there’s a little bit of soreness, and so we just wanted to give him a little bit of a break, and we moved up Dean (Kremer) to today.”

Hyde described it as “general” soreness, which “normally goes away over the course of between starts, and we feel like we want to be a little bit precautionary with him and just let him not make his start today.”

Flaherty was acquired from the Cardinals at the trade deadline to provide a veteran presence and someone who could handle a heavier workload, and a six-man rotation was built to spare the younger arms and make it easier control innings. But Flaherty's return date after three starts with the Orioles isn’t determined.

Austin Voth on rejoining the Orioles today

When last seen pitching for the Orioles in mid-June, right-hander Austin Voth had allowed six runs in 4 2/3 innings over a five-game stretch with a .391 batting average against.

That led to a trip to the injured list with right elbow discomfort, and just today Voth has returned to the Orioles' active roster. He was activated from the 60-day IL as Mike Baumann was optioned to Triple-A and Keegan Akin transferred to the 60-day IL with lower back discomfort.

Through his June 13 appearance, Voth went 1-2 with a 4.94 ERA and 1.581 WHIP over 31 innings in 23 games.

He said today he feels healthy and ready to rejoin and help this team.

“For the most part, yeah. Definitely took a little bit longer than I wanted to," Voth said. "But definitely glad to be back.

Orioles claim Webb on waivers (plus other notes)

The Orioles are making an adjustment to their bullpen prior to Tuesday night’s series opener against the Astros at Camden Yards.

Right-hander Jacob Webb has been claimed on waivers from the Angels. A corresponding move is pending because Webb hasn’t reported to the club.

A spot on the 40-man roster opened with pitcher Austin Voth transferred to the 60-day injured list.

Voth is on a rehab assignment at Triple-A Norfolk, where he tossed a scoreless and hitless inning yesterday. He hasn’t pitched for the Orioles since June 13 due to right elbow soreness, so a move to the 60-day IL isn’t impactful for his return.

Webb, who turns 30 on Aug. 15, was designated for assignment Saturday after posting a 3.98 ERA and 1.358 WHIP in 29 relief appearances. He walked 20 batters and struck out 34 in 31 2/3 innings.

Reliving the relief situation in Baltimore

Austin Voth’s injury rehab assignment moved to Triple-A Norfolk yesterday, his third affiliate on the road to a return from elbow soreness that’s plagued him at various times since spring training.

Updates on three other relievers – Mychal Givens, Dillon Tate and Keegan Akin – have been scarce at best. But Voth could be close to reinstatement unless the Orioles choose to use the entire 30 days.

Or if they put heavy emphasis on results.

Voth lasted two-thirds of an inning and was charged with two earned runs and three total, with three hits, a walk and two strikeouts. He threw 33 pitches, 21 for strikes.

He’s lurking either way, a pitcher who’s out of minor league options and capable of providing length out of the bullpen when healthy.

Mullins aiming for return later this week (and more notes)

Cedric Mullins remains confident that he can avoid the injured list as he recovers from tightness in his right quadriceps.

Mullins is out of the lineup for a third consecutive game. He sustained the injury Saturday night in the second inning while running from first to third base on Jordan Westburg’s fly ball down the right field line.

The ball sliced foul, and Mullins walked off the field with head athletic trainer Brian Ebel.

Asked how he’s progressing, Mullins replied, “I’d say pretty good.”

“It’s just one of those weird things where, as I’m getting work done to it, the soreness kind of accumulates from that,” he said. “Just continuing with the progression there. But I think it’s coming along pretty well.”

Voth hoping shutdown period will eliminate elbow pain

Austin Voth is hoping to begin throwing again next week to test the right elbow that forced him on the injured list yesterday.

Voth is taking a stronger dose of an anti-inflammatory to reduce the swelling.

The Orioles placed Voth on the IL after he allowed two runs and three hits Tuesday in one-third of an inning. He also walked a batter, and Cavan Biggio’s homer was the first that Voth surrendered in his last 18 appearances.

Voth’s previous outing also was a struggle, with two walks in one-third of an inning against the Royals.

“It’s getting better,” he said this morning. “It’s just a matter of calming it down to the point where I can move it without moving something. And from there, I’m not throwing right now, so the next step would be probably throwing in maybe a week to see how it’s doing.”

Joey Ortiz on his return to the Orioles today

He was a man of just a few words today upon his return to the Orioles. But 24-year-old infielder Joey Ortiz is a top 100 prospect with loud tools, a lively bat and big arm on the left side of the infield, playing mostly at shortstop.

He was with the Orioles the first time from April 27-30 and went 1-for-3 with three RBIs in his MLB debut April 27 at Detroit. He was back with the club from May 14-26 and returned to the active roster today.

“Just happy to be here and be able to contribute. I feel good. Feel like I’m getting back into a rhythm after being out for a little bit. Getting back into the baseball rhythm,” said Ortiz.

After he was optioned out in late May, he went through an illness and didn’t play for several days on the farm before getting back on the field with Triple-A Norfolk June 8. Since then he is 9-for-25, batting .360 with an OPS of 1.145 for the Tides with two homers and four RBIs, hitting safely in all six games. He homered last night before getting to Baltimore today.

He seems to have knocked off the rust of not playing between May 25 and June 7.

Orioles place Voth on injured list and bring up Garrett

The Orioles weren’t finished with their roster moves this afternoon.

Unfortunate business as usual.

Reliever Austin Voth was placed on the 15-day injured list with right elbow discomfort. Reliever Reed Garrett had his contract selected from Triple-A Norfolk to fill the gap in the bullpen.

To make room for Garrett on the 40-man, Mark Kolozsvary was designated for assignment less than 24 hours after the Orioles selected his contract and let him catch the ninth inning.

Voth retired only one batter last night and allowed two runs and three hits with one walk. His homerless streak ended at 17 appearances when pinch-hitter Cavan Biggio took him deep leading off the eighth.

O's select Garrett, place Voth on IL, designate Kolozsvary

The Orioles have made the following roster moves:

  • Selected the contract of RHP Reed Garrett from Triple-A Norfolk. He will wear #66.
  • Placed RHP Austin Voth on the 15-day Injured List with right elbow discomfort.
  • Designated C Mark Kolozsvary for assignment.

 The Orioles’ 40-man roster currently has 40 players.

Rutschman impresses with two-strike approach, O's lose series opener at Milwaukee

Many hitters are in trouble when the count reaches two strikes against most big league pitchers. At that point, that pitcher has done a lot of the heavy lifting to get ahead and now tries to execute a put away pitch to end the at-bat, either with weak contact or with a strikeout.

Among all Orioles players, catcher Adley Rutschman is the best hitter in two-strike count situations, batting .267. That doesn’t mean just 0-2 but 1-2 or any count with two strikes. That may not sound that a great number but .267 ranks as tied for the best in the American League in such spots. Among all MLB hitters it is tied for sixth-best. Miami’s Luis Arráez leads all hitters batting .304 with two-strike counts. Rutschman’s OPS in such spots is .713, to rank ninth-best in the AL.

Rutschman has a batting average of .273 when the count is specifically 0-2 and .310 when the count is at 1-2.

He has a strong, as they call it, “two-strike approach.”

“It is definitely unique and it’s incredibly advanced,” manager Brandon Hyde said in San Francisco of Rutschman’s two-strike batting. “And for someone that has played a year in the big leagues to have that sort of confidence and bat-to-ball skills (is impressive). With no press in his game, he is just super relaxed and he understands the strikezone so well. He has so much confidence in his hands, that’s why he shows so many two strike handsy swings, handsy hits to left field.”

Orioles drop second straight series with 12-8 loss (updated)

Under the most ideal circumstances, the Orioles were hoping to squeeze two innings out of opener Keegan Akin this afternoon, hand over the game to bulk reliever Austin Voth and try to avoid using the bullpen again until late in the game.

That’s how they drew it up.

That’s how it rarely seems to work when the Orioles try it.

The Guardians started former Cy Young winner Shane Bieber in a game that only a reverse lock could love. The baton would get a lot more use than the homer hose.

Cionel Pérez, the third of seven pitchers used today, surrendered back-to-back home runs to Josh Naylor and Josh Bell in the fourth inning, but the Orioles reclaimed the lead in the bottom half on Anthony Santander’s two-run shot into the bullpen. Mychal Givens loaded the bases in the fifth without retiring a batter, Mike Baumann stepped into the fray, Naylor delivered a three-run double and Gabriel Arias homered into the visiting bullpen.

O's game blog: Looking for a win in the series and homestand finale

The Orioles have played eight series this year that were not decided until the third and final game, and they are 5-3 in those games. They play another one today after splitting the first two games of their series with the Cleveland Guardians.

The Orioles (35-20) are 5-2-1 this month in series, and they are 12-4-1 in 17 series for the year, going 5-2-1 in home series.

The American League East as of today:

Tampa Bay, 39-18

Orioles, 35-20, 3 GB

Orioles notes on Hays, Hicks, opener and more

Austin Hays is out of today’s Orioles lineup against the Guardians because of an illness.

Ryan McKenna is in left field. Aaron Hicks is making his Orioles debut in center.

“Haysy’s a little bit under the weather today,” said manager Brandon Hyde. “Hopefully, he’s available to get some big hits for us late in the game. But going to start Mac in left today with the big park out there.

“Aaron’s a little bit more comfortable in center field as of right now and took balls off the bat in center yesterday, so that’s why we decided to go that way.”

The Orioles signed Hicks to a major league deal yesterday to replace center fielder Cedric Mullins, who’s on the 10-day injured list with a groin strain.

Voth ready to start if Orioles need him

Austin Voth is waiting like everyone else.

He knew yesterday morning that he’d start Wednesday afternoon against the Guardians or work in a bulk relief role behind an opener. Manager Brandon Hyde confirmed the plan to the media in his daily session in the auxiliary clubhouse.

How the bullpen was used yesterday and which relievers are needed tonight are the determining factors. Can’t announce an exact arrangement if an opener candidate is called upon before Wednesday, or if Voth is forced into a game.

Cionel Pérez, Mike Baumann, Mychal Givens and Keegan Akin pitched yesterday, none for more than one inning.

Voth will accept any role assigned to him. Being in the majors is the perk. But he welcomes an opportunity to start again.